About Instructional Technology & Learning Sciences
ITLS is an interdisciplinary field that focuses on understanding teaching and learning as they occur in school, online, in the workplace, at home, and in the community. It also addresses the design of environments with the potential to facilitate learning and development more effectively. Additionally, students can focus on the use of emerging technologies and their potential to work as a support for learning or to promote change in learning.
Students with bachelor’s degrees in any area can earn a graduate degree in ITLS, and it is particularly beneficial to those with backgrounds in graphic arts, business administration, management information systems, computer science, technical writing, and more. Students focus on the core areas of theory and design and learn to use design skills and other technologies in a variety of business areas, customized to specific career goals.
The goal of the MS program is to prepare individuals for careers in instructional design and development in business, industry, government, and education. Positions range from highly design-oriented jobs requiring extensive instructional development skills to product development-oriented jobs requiring skills in media production.
This program prepares people to handle a variety of possible positions. Graduates can use these skills in preparing educational materials for visitors at nature centers, historical sites, and other places that aim to educate the public. They can also design distance-learning classrooms and use the skills learned in their graduate program in the field of education.
The PhD is geared toward students interested in pursuing research careers and for those interested in working as faculty or in other positions within a higher education environment. While coursework overlaps with the MS, there is a much stronger research focus for PhD students.
The instructional technology and learning sciences degree (MS) is available online without a specialization.
Students are welcome from any undergraduate background.
- Complete the online application
- Pay the $55 application fee
- Score at or above the 40th percentile on in the GRE or MAT (GRE only for PhD)
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA on your last 60 semester or 90 quarter credits
- Provide transcripts of all college/university credits
- Provide three contacts for letters of recommendation
International students have additional admissions requirements.
Those with PhDs typically pursue careers in academia. Those with master’s degrees may work in the private sector, academia, work for themselves, or work directly or indirectly for the government, including both K-12 and military settings. Depending on their interests, students may decide to focus on administration and project management, on design work, or on development-oriented efforts. Graduates gain the technical skills and theoretical knowledge to succeed in a wide variety of fields and with companies and organizations across the spectrum. The following list demonstrates the depth and variety of career paths available.
- Faculty support at an academic institution
- Traditional classroom teacher (with additional education and licensure)
- Entrepreneur (instructional design firm, etc.)
- In-house corporate trainer
- Instructional designer (In-house corporation, military, etc.)
- Corporate chief educator
- Government sub-contractor for the military
- Human resources (it is recommended that students take electives in the school of business)
- Chief learning officer
- Designer for informal learning environments (museums, nature facilities, etc.)
- Project manager
- Multimedia specialist
- Technical writer
- E-learning specialist (distance learning, digital classroom designer, etc.)
- Educational or curriculum software consultant
- Independent consultant (contracting jobs from organizations)
- Graphic designer
- Information systems programmer
- Simulation and games design specialist
- Mobile app developer
Utah is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) and Utah State University (USU) is an approved SARA institution, which means we adhere to established standards for offering post-secondary e-learning programs in all member states. Please review our state authorizations to see if this program is offered in your state and our process for student complaints against the university.Back to all degrees