About Women & Gender Studies Certificate
The Graduate Certificate in Women and Gender Studies Program provides a base of study that addresses the intersecting issues of gender, age, race, ethnicity, class, regionalism, nationalism, sexual identity, etc. as they affect women and men. The certificate is complementary to a wide variety of graduate programs, and is also available as a standalone certificate. It can be individualized to each student’s need and gives greater depth to each student’s individual studies.
A flexible, interdisciplinary academic program, Women and Gender Studies (WGS) is unique at USU in bringing together women and men of all ethnicities and sexual identities to explore the many ways in which gender influences people’s lives and world views. Courses focus on the role of gender in human culture, examining the dynamics of sex roles and gender ideals, both historically and in the present. Through coursework and research, students engage in the study of femininities and masculinities, as well as the social forces that construct these gender identities, from many perspectives.
The Graduate Certificate in Women and Gender Studies Program is available to students who are currently enrolled in a degree-granting graduate program at Utah State University, and is available as a standalone certificate to students not otherwise enrolled in a graduate program but who wish to complete coursework in women and gender studies at the graduate level.
Applications to the Graduate Certificate in Women and Gender Studies program take place on two levels: 1) the University level and 2) the Program level. Students must be admitted at both the University and Program levels to receive the certificate.
At the University level, students not currently enrolled in a graduate-level degree granting program at Utah State University must apply to the University via the following Instructions:
- Applicants go to applynow.usu.edu.
- Choose the Graduate Application and then choose the WGS Certificate.
- Applicant must provide an official transcript showing they've been awarded a bachelor's degree or higher. Please send official transcripts to the following address: 0900 Old Main Hill, Logan UT 84322-0900. Official electronic transcripts may be sent to email@example.com from the institution. (If you've attended USU, we will obtain your transcripts.)
- Upload a General Statement of Purpose: "Describe your interest in the Women and Gender Certificate Program and your background in Women and Gender Studies (300-600 words)"
- Use PROMO code WGS2018 to waive $30 of the application fee.
- Application fee will be $25.00
Students already enrolled in a graduate-level degree granting program should apply solely at the program level.
- Graduate Certificate in Women and Gender Studies Application Form
- Unofficial transcripts from all universities attended
- A 300-600 word statement of purpose explaining your interest in the Certificate Program and your background in Women and Gender Studies
After acceptance into the program, students will be required to submit a proposed plan of study. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Graduate students who study women and gender issues might go on to careers in higher education, with the ability to teach women and gender studies courses or direct gender-focused programming. Other graduate students might go on to other careers in the private, non-profit, or public sectors. Career paths of graduate students with a women and gender studies focus include:
• Graphic Design
• Crisis Intervention
• Human Resources
• Magazine Editing
• Medical Fields
• Public Policy
• Radio Broadcasting
• Social Service
• Social Work
• Television Production
• Theatre & Arts
Utah is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) and Utah State University (USU) is an approved SARA institution, which means we adhere to established standards for offering post-secondary e-learning programs in all member states. Please review our state authorizations to see if this program is offered in your state and our process for student complaints against the university.Back to all degrees