About Family Life Studies
The family life studies degree is only offered online. This program is designed to prepare students for successful careers serving individuals and families across the life span and to help students achieve fulfilling family relationships in their own lives. Students learn how human development, family relationships, family economics, and consumer issues affect the individual and the family. This program has the same academic rigor as on-campus degrees, but is offered in an alternate format to serve a wide variety of students.
This degree is particularly well suited for students who are returning to college to complete their bachelor’s degrees. The flexibility of the online coursework makes it so that students can speed up the graduation process by completing work on their own schedules. Students can specialize their studies in the capstone practicum experience in an area of interest related to family life that allows them to gain experience for future career paths.
In addition to Utah State University’s admissions requirements, the family life studies program has additional requirements:
- Freshmen: New freshmen admitted to USU in good standing qualify for admission as pre-majors.
- Transfer Students: Transfer students and USU students transferring from other majors qualify for the pre-psychology major if they meet USU's general admissions requirements.
- To be admitted to the major, students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. To be a full major, students must complete the pre-major coursework.
International students have additional admissions requirements.
With a degree in family life studies, students may pursue careers in the following areas:
- Head Start programs
- Social service agencies
- Drug treatment centers
- Youth and adult residential care centers
- Foster care
- Youth centers
- Crisis centers
- Parent education programs
- Senior citizen centers
- Long-term care facilities
- Adult day care centers
Career Services provides counseling and information on hundreds of job and internship opportunities and even helps students apply and interview.
Utah is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) and Utah State University (USU) is an approved SARA institution, which means we adhere to established standards for offering post-secondary e-learning programs in all member states. Please review our state authorizations to see if this program is offered in your state and our process for student complaints against the university.Back to all degrees