Skip Navigation
Apply Now

Email: 24/7

Call: Open

Live Chat: Offline

Leave us a Message

If you have questions about anything or just want to give some feedback, please enter your information and we'll reach out to you within a couple of business days. If you'd rather we not call you, don't leave your phone number.

Amanda Williams
USU Graduate
U.S. News & World Report: Best Online Programs, Bachelor's 2016

About Communicative Disorders & Deaf Education

A bachelor’s degree in communicative disorders and deaf education is a pre-professional degree that prepares students for graduate school in speech-language pathology or clinical or educational audiology. Students in USU’s program choose to focus on either speech-language pathology or audiology.

Speech-language pathologists work with individuals of all ages who have difficulty communicating, learning to communicate, feeding, or swallowing. This may include infants with feeding disorders or children with speech, language, hearing, or literacy development problems. It may also include children and adults who stutter, have voice disorders, or suffer from speech, language, and swallowing problems as the consequence of neurological disease or stroke.

Audiologists evaluate and manage individuals who are suspected or have been identified as having differences associated with hearing. Audiologists conduct testing to help identify hearing loss, select and fit hearing aids, program cochlear implants, and provide aural rehabilitation.

Students receive a BS by completing all required courses in the major. To receive a BA, students must also gain proficiency in one or more foreign languages.

The communicative disorders and deaf education degree (BS) is available online for students who are unable to attend classes on campus. The online and on-campus programs cannot be combined. Students should consult with the Communicative Disorders and Deaf Education Department advisor before beginning the program.

In addition to Utah State University’s admissions requirements, the communicative disorders and deaf education program has additional requirements:

  • Freshmen:  Freshmen admitted to USU in good standing qualify for admission as pre-ComDDE majors.
  • Transfer Students: Transfer students and USU students transferring from other USU majors qualify for the pre-ComDDE major if they meet USU's general admissions requirements.
  • To advance from pre-ComDDE to the ComDDE major, students should meet with their advisor after the following requirements have been met: 
    • cumulative GPA of 3.0 · complete at least 45 semester credits   
    • complete the required courses (see Gen Catalog) with a B- or better (Transfer students who have completed required courses that have been articulated by USU will be evaluated on those courses.)
    • complete the checklist assignment in the ComDDE Advising Canvas Section 

International students have additional admissions requirements.

With a bachelor’s degree in communicative disorders and deaf education, students may be qualified for the following careers:

  • Clinical aide
  • Assistant or technician in speech-language pathology
  • Assistant in clinical audiology and educational audiology

Most undergraduate students go on to receive graduate degrees in MS, MA, MEd, or AuD, allowing certification and/or licensure as a professional speech-language pathologist or audiologist. With graduate degrees in these fields, students will be eligible to work in the following areas:

  • Hospitals
  • Schools
  • Rehabilitation centers
  • Nursing facilities
  • Home health care centers
  • Community centers
  • Private practice settings


Career Services provides counseling and information on hundreds of job and internship opportunities and even helps students apply and interview.

Utah is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) and Utah State University (USU) is an approved SARA institution, which means we adhere to established standards for offering post-secondary e-learning programs in all member states. Please review our state authorizations to see if this program is offered in your state and our process for student complaints against the university.

Back to all degrees